Monday, December 14, 2009

Disappointed Nur Suryani vows to make a comeback


THIS will be the Sea Games rifle shooter Nur Suryani Mohd Taibi will want to forget quickly.

Nur Suryani has never failed to win a gold medal since making her Sea Games debut in the 2001 Kuala Lumpur edition but her proud record ended at the National Sports Complex in Vientiane yesterday.

In her final event, Nur Suryani only managed a bronze in the women's 50-metre three-position. Together with Shahera Rahim Raja and Muslifah Zulkifli, the trio posted a combined score of 1,702 points. Thailand won the gold medal with a Sea Games record of 1,725 total followed by Singapore on 1,717.

In the individual event, Nur Suryani was on course for a medal when she was placed second in the preliminary round with a 579 total. However, she posted a poor 94.3 in the final series which saw her drop two rungs to fourth with a grand total of 673.3 points.

Singapore's Jasmine Wei won the gold after a shoot-out with Thailand's Sununtu Majchacheep as both posted identical scores of 677.6 points.

"Yes, I am very disappointed with my performance. It's disastrous. I have never failed to win a gold medal before but I missed it here," said Nur Suryani yesterday.

"The bitter experience here has taught me a lot. I will definitely train harder and make a stronger comeback."

Nur Suryani was also disappointed for failing to defend her second position in the final round of yesterday's three-position event.

"I really wanted to win the individual event after finishing third in the team. However, I was not prepared as I wanted to have my lunch when the officials informed the finalists to get ready for the event.

"Anyway, I do not want to blame anyone for my failure today (yesterday). It was probably not meant to be," said the 27-year-old.

All hope will now be on Hasli Izwan Amir Hasan to win Malaysia's first gold medal here when the 32-year-old competes in the 25m rapid fire pistol on Wednesday. NST

No comments:

Post a Comment