Thursday, June 11, 2015

You can’t keep Farah Ann down (updated)

National gymnast Farah Ann Abdul Hadi with her floor exercise gold medal at the Singapore SEA Games on Wednesday. - FAIHAN GHANI/ The STAR
National gymnast Farah Ann Abdul Hadi with her floor exercise gold medal at the Singapore SEA Games on Wednesday. - FAIHAN GHANI/ The STAR

SINGAPORE: She will not be denied.

Farah Ann Abdul Hadi got what she wanted from the Singapore SEA Games - an individual gold.

The 21-year-old Malaysia had saved her best for the last day of competition. She produced a composed routine to score 13.733 points to win the floor exercise event at the Bishan Sports Hall on Wednesday.

Indonesian Rifda Irfanalutfi took silver with 13.700 and Vietnam’s Phan Thi Ha Thanh the bronze with 13.433.

Farah also won bronze in the balance beam with 13.300 points.

This was Farah’s second gold at the Games. She had won the team event on Sunday, followed by a silver in the individual all-around final on Monday and two bronzes in the vault and uneven bars on Tuesday.

“I’m very happy. The floor is my best event and this was always on my radar,” said Farah, who claimed silver in the uneven bars in Indonesia four years ago.

“To deliver the gold for Malaysia is something I’m very proud of ... very grateful for it to have happened.

“I was very sad after the two bronzes yesterday, but my team-mates rallied around me and picked me up. I don’t think I would’ve done so well today without their support.”

Jeremiah Loo (pic, above) also contributed a surprise silver – scoring 14.133 to finish second in the horizontal bars.

Vietnamese gold medallist Dinh Phuong Thanh was just 0.100 of a point ahead. Singapore’s Aizat Muhammad Jufrie took bronze with 12.833.

The 18-year-old Jeremiah, who is making his Games debut, said: “I’m very happy. This is a surprise ... an unexpected medal. It’s my first for Malaysia.

“We hope to put a men’s team together for 2017 and challenge for the team event in Kuala Lumpur.”

*Pictures by Faihan Ghani.

The Star Online

No comments:

Post a Comment