Sunday, June 14, 2015

Fauzi has his 'hajat' answered as 12-year-old becomes youngest SEA Games double gold medallist

“I was nervous before the race, so I woke up and had hajat prayer before the subuh prayers." - FAIHAN GHANI / The Star
“I was nervous before the race, so I woke up and had hajat prayer before the subuh prayers." - FAIHAN GHANI / The Star

SINGAPORE: Pint-sized Muhd Fauzi Kaman Shah of Langkawi is Malaysia’s youngest double gold medallist in the SEA Games.

The 12-year-old, who skippered the Optimist team to the gold medal last week, was in his element again as he pulled off another sensational race to win the boys’ individual Optimist event at the National Sailing Centre.

Fauzi, who will turn 13 on Nov 20, admitted to be being worried heading into the medal race with Thailand’s Suthon Yampinid and Singapore’s Daniel Ian Teoh.

“I was nervous before the race, so I woke up and had hajat prayer before the subuh prayers. It worked for me. It was a hard race ... I had to fight all the way but I’m so proud to be the youngest in the team to win two gold medals,” said the 133cm-tall sailor.

Suthon took silver after Daniel was penalised for an illegal move during the race. The Singaporean took bronze.

Nor Nabila Natasha Mohd Nazri settled for the bronze in the girls’ Optimist event.

The national sailing team have collected four golds, two silvers and two bronzes so far.

They are assured of another gold from Eiman Shahrin Naquib and Muhd Uzair Amin Mohd Yusof in the men’s 420 event . The duo have an unassailable lead of 11 points, followed by Singapore (23) and Thailand third (26).

The Star Online

No comments:

Post a Comment