Friday, April 24, 2015

Tracie's back and staking a claim for SEA Games spot

Tracie went through a hip injury last October and was ruled out for the year. - filepic
Tracie went through a hip injury last October and was ruled out for the year. - filepic


KUALA LUMPUR: Trust national artistic gymnast Tracie Ang to bounce back when she takes a fall.
The 21-year-old Tracie proved that she is not done yet when she came out of a hip injury to stake a strong claim for a spot in the Singapore SEA Games in June.

She took part in a selection trial this week – just to see where she stood – and instead made heads turn when she came out tops in a six-member field.

“It was really satisfying. I did not feel any pain and was able to do all the simple routines. And I had only two weeks of training before the trial,” said Tracie.

“With more practice, I can be better. I am now keeping my fingers crossed that I’ll get to go for my fourth SEA Games.”

Last October, Tracie went through a hip injury and was ruled out for the year.
“This is one of my longest recovery period. It took about five months to get back on my feet. I didn’t give up hope as I still believe I could still perform.

“I am thankful my coach (Nataliya Sinkova) still has trust in me. I wanted to take part in only two events – the uneven bars and balance beam – but she challenged me to try all four during the trials and I’m glad it went well.”

Tracie was part of the team that finished eighth at the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow last year.
Her best result is a 10th placed finish in the individual all-around event at the 2010 Asian Games in Guangzhou, China.

Team manager Abdul Hadi Ahmad said that the Malaysian Gymnastics Federation (MGF) will finalise the SEA Games squad after a meeting on April 28.

“We have not closed the selection. The performances of the gymnasts in the first and second trials will be looked into. Their performances in competitions will also be taken account,” added Abdul Hadi.

Malaysia’s last big success in artistic gymnastics came at the 2007 Thailand Games when they won two golds. Gymnastics was not contested at both the 2009 Laos and 2013 Myanmar SEA Games.



 by Rajes Paul - The Star

No comments:

Post a Comment