Tuesday, April 28, 2015

No Singapore SEA Games for Poh San and Olivia

Wong Poh San is not expected to recover in time for the SEA Games after suffering from a hip injury last month.
Wong Poh San is not expected to recover in time for the SEA Games after suffering from a hip injury last month.


PETALING JAYA: Rhythmic gymnasts Wong Poh San and Olivia Tai Qing Tong are out of the Singapore SEA Games in June.

The duo are hampered by injuries and are not expected to recover in time for the June 5-16 Games.
The 18-year-old Poh San, who won a silver and two bronzes at last year’s Commonwealth Games, suffered a hip injury last month.

“The injury has since worsened. At first I thought it was just an issue with the muscles. But it became unbearable and I was on crutches. I could barely walk ... it was frustrating,” said Poh San.
“The doctors have since diagnosed it as a problem with the hip joint. I’m still under treatment and I don’t think I can make it to the Games,” added Poh San.

For reigning Asian junior champion Olivia, she underwent a right knee operation last Thursday. The recovery period takes about two to three months.

“The injury has been bothering me for almost two years. The doctors gave me two options – take two injections and compete at the Games or have the operation after the Games.

“If I represent Malaysia, I want to give it my best. So, I decided to go for the op although it was a tough decision. I’ll look ahead to the 2017 SEA Games in Kuala Lumpur,” said the 16-year-old.

With Poh San and Olivia unavailable, Koi Sie Yan, Shasangari Sivaneswary Nagarajan and Shak Yuki will now battle it out for the two vacant spots for the Games.



by Ashreena Pillai - The Star

No comments:

Post a Comment