Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Seventh SEA Games stint for shotgun shooter Ricky

PETALING JAYA: Skeet shooter Ricky Teh has received an early Chinese New Year “ang pow”.
The shooter learned last week that he will be making his seventh SEA Games appearance in Singapore in June.

And the good news is that he has been placed under Category A – where all training expenses leading to the SEA Games will be borne by National Sports Council (NSC).  

Ricky is determined to make the most of this opportunity to regain the SEA Games skeet individual gold medal.

The 51-year-old is set to leave on Saturday for a second stint in the Sichuan province to train under former Olympic champion Zhang Shan.

The Chinese shooter won the skeet gold medal at the 1992 Barcelona Olympics when it was a mixed event.

“She runs a shooting school over there and this will be my longest stint. I’ll be there for one-and-a-half months,” said Ricky, who won the individual gold at the Vietnam SEA Games in 2003.
“I’m happy that I’m under Category A as shotgun shooters have always been on our own all this while.

“It could be because shotgun events are not always held at the Games. The last time the shotgun events were contested was in Korat, Thailand, in 2007. 

“We need the support (from NSC) as shooting is an expensive sport,” added Ricky, who enjoyed a blast in his first SEA Games in Chiangmai in 1995, bringing home a gold medal in the team event.
Last year, the 2004 Athens Olympic shooter paid his own way to go to Sichuan to train under Zhang Shan in a bid to check the slump in his form.

“My form dipped at the start of last year. I found it hard to get back my rhythm following a car accident the year before,” said Ricky.

“I paid my own ... for the flight tickets, accommodation, shooting fees and bullets for the two weeks I was there.

“The environment is different. If I were here, there would be distractions... like meetings and phone calls.

“After coming back from the stint, I competed in the SEASA meet (last December) and managed to get a silver.

“I believe I am on the right track heading for the SEA Games as I also won the gold at the Selangor Shooting Championships last Sunday,” added Ricky, who will team up with Gan Kong Leong and Amran Risman for the team event at the Singapore Games.



by Lim Teik Huat The Star

No comments:

Post a Comment