Wednesday, November 16, 2011

SEA GAMES: Cool Suryani Shoots Second Gold Medal


PALEMBANG, Nov 15 (Bernama) -- National shooter Nur Suryani Muhamed Taibi kept her cool to shoot her second gold medal for the national squad at the 26th SEA Games in Indonesia at Jakabaring Sports Centre shooting range here Tuesday.

On the first day of the shooting competition, Nur Suryani contributed the first gold medal for Malaysia in the Women's individual 50m Rifle 3 Positions event. Today she was triumphant in the Women's individual 10m Air Rifle event.

"As in the 50m Rifle 3 Positions, I did not expect to take gold. I just did my best and I am happy with the outcome," she said.

At the end of the event, Nur Suryani succeeded in collecting 497.1 points while Jasmine Ser Xiang Wei from Singapore and Patornnut Hongprasert of Thailand respectively obtained 496 and 495.2 points for the silver and bronze.

Meanwhile, another Malaysian, Shahera Rahim Raja could only manage fifth place with 491.9 points.

"I was jittery as I was leading the other participants. If I were trailing, I would feel less pressured but I managed to keep my cool.

"My main competitor was Jasmine of Singapore who has been my tough opponent since the last Commonwealth Games in New Dehli," Suryani added.

According to Nur Suryani, after the SEA Games she would undergo centralised training for the Asian Shooting Championship in Doha, Qatar in January next year.


-- BERNAMA

From Farhanah Azmi

No comments:

Post a Comment