Friday, November 18, 2011

SEA GAMES: Christina Splashes Her Way To First Sea Games Gold Medal

PALEMBANG, Nov 17 (Bernama) -- Malaysia's swimmers clinched another gold medal on the final day of the 26th SEA Games Indonesia swimming competition held at Jakabaring Aquatic Centre, here Thursday night.

Malaysia claimed the gold medal in the women's 50m breaststroke through Christina Loh with a time of 32.49s, just 0.20s slower than her own national record of 32.29s set at the Fina World Championship in Shanghai, China last July.

Her team mate Siow Yi Ting took the silver with a time of 32.81s in the competition which was contested at the SEA Games for the first time.

"I'm quite happy with my performance although it was not my personal best time. I still have room for improvement," said Christina.

"I hope to qualify for the Olympic 100m breaststroke because I haven't qualified yet. Now I have to train more. My last chance to qualify is at next year's Malaysian Open," added Christina, who was delighted to win her first SEA Games gold medal after making her debut in Laos two years ago.

The Malaysian swimming squad claimed another four silver and two bronze tonight.

Overall, they managed to clinched five gold medals, 10 silver and three bronze.

Singapore's swimmers emerged on top of the leaderboard with 17 gold, nine silver and 13 bronze.

-- BERNAMA

No comments:

Post a Comment