Monday, November 14, 2011

SEA GAMES: Archer Khairul Anuar Unperturbed Over Format Change

JAKARTA, Nov 12 (Bernama) -- National archer Khairul Anuar Mohamad is unperturbed over changes made in the format of the archery event at the SEA Games here.

Taking them in his stride, he said the changes, which tailored to International Archery Federation requirements, were not a big deal even though he had to acclimatise himself to the rules.

"I was told that this format requires an archer to shoot from a distance of 30 metres (m), 50m, 70m and 90m in the qualifying round before advancing to the knockout round.

"My only problem is that during training, I rarely shoot from 90m and I have to find my rhythm as I'm familiar with shooting from 70m," he told Bernama here Saturday.

Hailed from Terengganu, Khairul Anuar has qualified for the London Olympics 2012 along with Chan Chu Sian and Haziq Kamaruddin following their commendable performance at the World Archery Championship in Turin, recently. Khairul Anuar, 20, who helped Malaysia lifted two golds from the Tehran Asian Archery Championship last month, is determined to win the gold in the team's event together with Chu Sian and Haziq but did not placed high hopes in the individual event.

"It is hard to please everybody by setting a target in the individual event as I still have a lot to learn but I promise I will do my best for country," he said.

"I notice that archers from Thailand, Myanmar and Laos are a force to reckon with," said Khairul Anuar.

Sixteen national archers arrived in the capital on Friday and will start their campaign at the Field Archery Field, Gelora Bung Karno, Senayan on Sunday.

-- BERNAMA

No comments:

Post a Comment