Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Swimmers Bags Two Golds, One Silver And One Bronze On The Final Day

VIENTIANE, Dec 14 (Bernama) -- Swimming events at the ongoing 25th SEA Games here were a boon for the Malaysian contingent as most of the country's medals thus far have come from the pool.

After five-days competition at the National Sports Complex Swimming Pool, Malaysia have bagged nine gold, silver and bronze.

TMonday, the final day of the swimming competition, the Malaysian swimming squad bagged another two gold, one silver and one bronze.

The two gold medals came from Malaysia's swimming sensation Daniel Bego in the men's 200m freestyle and 200m butterfly.

He clocked one minute 49.22 seconds to erase his Games record of 1:52.32s and national record of 1:50.92s, en route for his fourth new SEA Games record.

Earlier, he had re-written three other SEA Games records namely in the men's 100m and 400m freestyle and 100m butterfly.

"Like in the other races, I just swam my own race. I felt very happy with my outing here. To achieve such a good results was something good for me. I am glad that my mother and my girlfriend are here to support me...they were the support that I needed.

"Next year swimming without the suit will be a challenge for me. I'm looking foward to that. I'm using the Jaked swimsuit which I bought in Rome this year," said the delighted 20-year-old Sarawakian.

Despite winning the silver medal in the women's 200m butterfly, Khoo Cai Lin managed to set a new national record after clocking 2:14.30s.

The previous national record was 2:16.11s set by her during the Mini Olympic held at the National Aquatic Centre in Bukit Jalil last August, when she erased Nurul Huda's long-standing national record of 2:16.83s set during the 1989 Kuala Lumpur SEA Games.

-- BERNAMA

No comments:

Post a Comment