Monday, June 15, 2015

Uzair hopes gold medal will soothe mom’s heart

Malaysian sailors Muhammad Uzair Amin Mohd Yusof (left) and Naquib Eiman Shahrin with the men's 420 event gold medal. It was also Malaysia's 50th gold medal at the Singapore SEA Games. - FAIHAN GHANI/The STAR
Malaysian sailors Muhammad Uzair Amin Mohd Yusof (left) and Naquib Eiman Shahrin with the men's 420 event gold medal. It was also Malaysia's 50th gold medal at the Singapore SEA Games. - FAIHAN GHANI/The STAR

SINGAPORE: Sailor Muhammad Uzair Amin Mohd Yusof now has a peace offering – a SEA Games gold – to his mother.

On Sunday, skipper Uzair combined with Naquib Eiman Shahrin to win Malaysia’s 50th gold in the men’s 420 event at the National Sailing Centre.

The 15-year-old will give the gold to his mother, Mariani Mad Isa, as a Hari Raya gift when he returns home to Port Dickson.

“I hope this gold will pacify my mother ... she’s upset that I’m not always at home and being away for training and competitions,” said Uzair who is based in Langkawi.


“I will miss Hari Raya Aidilfitri (which is expected to fall on July 17) as I’m going to compete in the 420 Class World Championships at Castle Bay Karatsu in Japan from July 17-25.

“I do miss my mother and my family but this is the life of an athlete. We have to train and compete all year,” added Uzair.

Uzair and Naquib were never troubled, leading from start to finish.

Naquib credited their dominant display to the one-month training stint in Greece.

“We used all we learned in Greece to dominate Races 1-9. I’m so happy and it’s extra special as we won the country’s 50th gold,” said Naquib.

The Star Online

No comments:

Post a Comment