Friday, May 22, 2015

Jin Wei vows to perform at SEA Games

Jin Wei will also play in the individual events at the Singapore SEA Games.
Jin Wei will also play in the individual events at the Singapore SEA Games.

KUALA LUMPUR: Playing in two events in her first SEA Games is a big thing for Malaysia’s youngest shuttler, Goh Jin Wei.
But trust the 15-year-old Jin Wei to have a good time.

Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) technical director Morten Frost has named the pint-sized Jin Wei for the women’s singles individual and team events.

Naming her for the team event – together with Tee Jing Yi, Ho Yen Mei and Lim Yin Fun – is understandable, but fielding her in the individual event shows that her coaches genuinely believe in her abilities and are ready to throw her into the “cauldron”.

And reigning German Junior champion Jin Wei has vowed to justify their faith in her.
“I want to use this as a platform to gain as much experience as possible,” said Jin Wei, who defeated all the senior players to become the youngest shuttler to win the women’s Division One title at the Kuala Lumpur Open in January. 

“I don’t want to disappoint my coaches and parents who have always supported me. My opponents will be more experienced but I’ll do my best.
“Every match will be exciting for me. I intend to learn from every match and use it to improve myself.

“I have just completed my mid-term examinations, so now I can fully focus on making my SEA Games debut a memorable one,” added the Form Two student of a private school in Damansara.
Top shuttler Jing Yi is the other representative in the women’s singles event.
Malaysia last won a women’s singles gold medal through Wong Mew Choo at the 2003 SEA Games in Vietnam.

Frost is excited to see how the 1.57m-tall Jin Wei will fare at the Games.
“It’s a big decision to name her for the two events. She has potential ... this will be a good platform to see where she stands in the region,” said Frost.

“She does not have the height but she moves very fast. Her game is okay but she finds it difficult to get out of trouble during matches, so these are the areas that we’re working on.”

The other Malaysian women shuttlers bound for Singapore are Woon Khe Wei-Vivian Hoo, Amelia Anscelly-Soong Fie Cho, Goh Liu Ying and Lai Pei Jing. The men shuttlers are Lee Chong Wei, Cheam June Wei, Mohd Arif Latif, Iskandar Zulkarnain Zainuddin, Goh V Shem-Tan Wee Kiong, Teo Kok Siang-Mak Hee Chun, Chan Peng Soon-Tan Aik Quan. 



by Rajes Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment