Friday, December 26, 2014

2014 One Of My Best Year Ever, Says Nicol

GEORGE TOWN, Dec 24 (Bernama) -- It's been a "terrific" year for Malaysian squash sensation Datuk Nicol David who clinched her eighth world title but it was not just a bed of roses since challenges were a plenty to remain as the women world number one.

Nicol's win at Women's World Championship in Cairo, Egypt last Saturday, crowned a great year which saw her win gold at the Commonwealth Games, Asian Games, six Women's Squash Association (WSA) Tour titles and lead Malaysia to a first appearance in the Women's World Team Championship final.

Nicol said it was one of her most memorable title ever, to come from behind during the fourth set of the game and clinch the title.

"Throughout that time, all my mind said was to win the last point as I know I've worked hard and it was my time to shine and I don't want to let it slip away easily.

"The faith and believe from my family and team mates have given so much encouragement to push through those boundaries. I couldn't ask for more and I am pleased ... with all the work hard, everything has paid off," she said after arriving home, here today, to celebrate Christmas with family and friends.

Last Saturday, the Penang lass secured her eighth world title after defeating current world number three, Raneem El Weleily, the home favourite in a tense five-set thriller 5-11, 11-8, 7-11, 14-12, 11-5 which lasted for an hour and six minutes at the Wadi Delga Squash Club in Egypt.

When asked whether the eighth world title was enough for her, she answered nothing would whet her appetite for success.

"I think as long as my body is still willing, good and the desire to win is still there, I don't think I want to stop," she said.

For next year, Nicol said she will be participating over 10 tournaments begin with the Tournament of Champions on Jan 16 in New York.

"Besides major tournaments like the Tournament of Champions, the British Open and the US Open, I also wish to do well in tournaments held in Malaysia," she said.

Nicol said she would be taking a break for two weeks in Penang and Kuala Lumpur to celebrate Christmas and the New Year (2015) with family and friends.

-- BERNAMA

No comments:

Post a Comment