Wednesday, December 18, 2013

15-Year-old Nazreen Upstages Senior Partner To Claim 10m Platform Gold


NAYPYITAW, Dec 18 (Bernama) -- Little known young diver Muhammad Nazreen Abdullah pulled off a pleasant upset by beating senior diver Ooi Tze Liang to win the men's individual 10m Platform diving gold at the Wunna Theikdi Aquatic Centre, here Wednesday.

Muhammad Nazreen, 15, a student of the Bukit Jalil Sports School who was making his SEA Games debut, claimed the gold by the narrowest of margins after collecting 398.05 points against Tze Liang's 397.20 points.

He said the intensive training in China since early this year under diving head coach Yang Zhuliang had been fruitful.

"During my third dive, I had planned to perform a more difficult dive compared with Tze Liang...and this is my best performance in any competition. I wish to dedicate this gold medal to my family, team mates and coaches who have helped and supported me since taking up diving," he said.

Muhammad Nazreen who took up diving at the age of nine hopes to add the 10m Platform Synchronized Diving gold with his partner Tze Liang on Saturday.

From Mazani Chan Yat Sin -- BERNAMA

No comments:

Post a Comment