Wednesday, November 27, 2013

One last push for glory for judoka Norbaizura

This will be judoka Nik Norbaizura Nik Azman's last SEA Games and she will be going all out to enter the final of the under 63kg category in Myanmar next month. - The STAR
This will be judoka Nik Norbaizura Nik Azman's last SEA Games and she will be going all out to enter the final of the under 63kg category in Myanmar next month. - The STAR

PETALING JAYA: Judoka Nik Norbaizura Nik Azman is hoping for a golden flourish at next month’s Myanmar SEA Games.

The 25-year-old, a two-time SEA Games bronze medallist in the women’s below 63kg category, is ready to hang up her judogi after the Games.

“This will be my last SEA Games and I want to end on a high note. I already have two bronzes. So, I want to go one step higher.

“I’ve fallen short twice, but this time I have my eyes on making it to the gold medal match. I’ll try my hardest to win. If I can accomplish that, then that will be something very special ... the best possible ending to my career,” said Norbaizura.

Norbaizura, who hails from Kota Baru, took up judo when she joined the Tengku Mahkota Ismail Sports School (SSTMI) in Bandar Penawar, Johor, in 2002.

She competed in the below 57kg category until 2009 before switching to the below 63kg category. She also went on to represent Kelantan at the Sukma, winning gold in 2002, 2004 and 2008 (below 57kg) and 2010 (below 63kg).

On her plans after retirement, Norbaizura is keen to become a coach and a teacher.
“I’m already 25 and I have to look beyond the tatami now. It’s time to move to the next chapter of my life ... maybe even marriage ... if I find a suitor,” she quipped.

“I know I can’t do this (competing) forever, so it will be great to keep moving on to bigger and better things. Teaching has always been a keen interest of mine and once I’m done, I’d love to be able to serve my country in a different way as an educator,” said Norbaizura, who graduated with a Bachelor of Science in Education (Sports Science) degree from Universiti Teknologi Malaysia (UTM) in Johor Baru in October this year.

“I think I will ease off judo in the coming months. I can’t pinpoint a date. But it’s safe to say, I’m looking forward to become a coach and share my knowledge and experience. Later on, I’ll move on to teaching,” said Norbaizura.


by Ashreena Pillai - The Star

No comments:

Post a Comment