Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Striker Syahrul thrilled to rediscover scoring touch

PETALING JAYA: National Under-23 forward Syahrul Azwari Ibrahim is glad to have finally rediscovered his scoring touch.

The 18-year-old hit a brace in Malaysia’s 4-1 friendly win over Laos at the Shah Alam Stadium on Sunday. He also scored a goal in the 2-1 win over Myanmar in the VFF Cup Invitational Under-23 football tournament in Hanoi last month.

Syahrul was riddled with injuries when he turned out for Harimau Muda A in the Super League this season and could only score four goals in 19 appearances.

However, the Tanah Merah lad believes that his recent goal-scoring performances augured well for the national team, who will be competing in the SEA Games in Jakarta from Nov 7.

Injuries to wingers Wan Zack Haikal Wan Noor and Wan Zaharulnizam Zakaria have also been a blessing to Syahrul as he has flourished on the flanks.

In the match against Laos, Syahrul was fielded on the right flank by national Under-23 coach Ong Kim Swee and he proved to be a handful to the Laos defenders with his pace and trickery.
“It’s good to score goals again after a while.

“I’m very happy with my goals against Laos,” said Syahrul, who will skip the SPM examination this year.
“Injuries to Wan Zack and Zaharulnizam have gifted me a spot on the flanks and I intend to take this opportunity to prove myself to the coach.

“My confidence is back, thanks to my goals. I’m prepared to play in any position ... I just want to score goals for the team.”

Kim Swee admitted that he was happy with his attacking options.
The team’s midfield quartet of Baddrol Bakhtiar, Yong Kuong Yong, Ahmad Fakri Saarani and Syahrul can also play upfront, thus offering him many tactical options.



THE STAR

No comments:

Post a Comment