Monday, November 14, 2011

SEA GAMES: Mun Yee-Yan Yee Clinch First Gold Medal In Diving

PALEMBANG, Nov 13 (Bernama) -- Malaysian divers proved their prowess at Jakabaring Aquatics Centre here to clinch one of the two gold medals on offer on the opening day of the 26th SEA Games diving competition, Sunday.

Seasoned campaigner Leong Mun Yee partnered Ng Yan Yee to accumulate 296.10 points for the gold medal in the women's 3m springboard syncronised event.

Indonesia's Natalie Dinda and Dewi Setyaningsih took the silver with 250.20 points while the Philippines duo of Sheila Mae Perez and Ceseil Domensio took the bronze with 243.12 points.

"I think it was because our DD (degree of difficulty) was higher than the other competitors. With (Ng) Yan Yee, I think our collaboration has improved," said Mun Yee, who has been partnering Yan Yee in the event for the past two year since Laos SEA Games. In the previous SEA Games in Laos, Mun Yee clinched the gold medal in the event with a different partner, Cheong Jun Hong.

As for Yan Yee, the 19-year-old from Cheras said her performance had improved a lot since making her debut in Laos in 2009.

"I have improved a lot from the previous SEA Games and also in other competitions I took part this year. My next mission is to win a medal in the individual events," said Yan Yee, who will be competing for the first time in the 3m springboard individual event in this Games.

"Initially I was a rythmic gymnast but my talents for diving was spotted by coach Yang Zhuliang who invited me to join diving. He (Yang) said my physical build was good for diving," she added.

-- BERNAMA

No comments:

Post a Comment