Wednesday, November 16, 2011

SEA GAMES: Cheong Wins Another Gold For Malaysia In Diving

PALEMBANG, Nov 15 (Bernama) -- National diver Cheong Jun Heong bagged a gold medal in the women's 3m platform individual event at the 26th Sea Games at the Aquatics Centre here Tuesday.

The 21-year old Cheong put on spectacular performance to accumulate 310.70 points after five dives, leaving behind compatriot Ng Yan Yee in second place with 290.10 points.

Indonesian Sari Ambarawati, who scored a total of 270.60 points, took home the bronze.

A seasoned campaigner Cheong, who debuted in the SEA Games when she was only 13 years old in Vietnam in 2003, led the scoreboard since the first round.

Her best dive was during the fourth round when she did a 'reverse two and a half somersault with 3.0 difficulty' earning herself 64.50 points from the judges.

"It was quite a challenge for me to do that particular dive. I'm glad I pull it through and I'm happy that I got a gold for Malaysia," she said to the national media after the competition.

However, the Perakian was not really happy with her overall performance.

"I think I can do better. I need to train a lot more to improve my timing and consistency," said Cheong who won her first SEA Games medal in Laos in 2009.

Cheong contributed the fourth gold from diving thus continuing Malaysia's domination in the event.

-- BERNAMA

No comments:

Post a Comment