Monday, November 21, 2011

Adiq Husainie redeems himself by winning gold in team pursuit

JAKARTA: Cyclist Mohd Adiq Husainie Othman (pic) began his journey of redemption by winning the gold medal in the 4,000m team pursuit yesterday at the Rawamangun velodrome here.
Adiq competed in the road race in Bandung last Thursday and finished a dismal 21st. Yesterday, he redeemed himself at the velodrome.

It has been a bittersweet experience for the 20-year-old at this Games. The night before the road race, he came down with a bout of diarrhoea.
“I really prepared well for the road race, but it just wasn’t meant to be. Just look at me ... I’m so skinny after suffering from diarrhoea. I had prepared well but it all went down the drain because of the diarrhoea,” said Adiq.

That’s why he was so ecstatic about winning the 4,000m team pursuit gold medal.
“Winning the team pursuit gold is a consolation for me after my loss in the road race,” said Adiq.
The Terengganu-born rider will have the opportunity to grab his second gold medal today in the 40km points race.

Adiq was the points race bronze medallist in the Asian Cycling Championships in Korat in February.
“I believe I have a good chance in the points race despite having very little practice on the track prior to coming here,” he said.

“But we’ll see what the strategy is tomorrow as I will ride with Mohd Harrif Salleh in the race.”


THE STAR

2 comments: