Monday, November 16, 2009

Fatigue may force Lee to skip Laos Games


KUALA LUMPUR: Lee Chong Wei has raised doubt over his participation in the Laos SEA Games after winning the Hong Kong Open men’s singles title yesterday.

Chong Wei fears that he may not be able to sustain his form until the Games scheduled for Dec 9-18.

His next assignment is the China Open, which begins on Wednesday in Shanghai.

He has also qualified for the Super Series Masters Finals, which will be held in Johor Baru from Dec 2-6, as the top player in the circuit standings.

“To expect one to peak in four back-to-back tournaments is asking for the impossible,” said Chong Wei.

“I will compete in the China Open and Masters Finals. But I am not sure whether I will be able to raise my game in the SEA Games.

“I will consult with my coach (Misbun Sidek) and the BAM (Badmin­ton Association of Malaysia) before making a decision.

“It is either I skip the Masters Finals or the Laos Games. There is also an option for me to play in only the team event in Laos. We will look into these options.”

Chong Wei said that skipping two recent Super Series Open tournaments in Europe gave him time to focus on training. He withdrew from the Denmark and France Open tournaments to recover fully from a knee injury.

“My injury is certainly a blessing in disguise.

“I had more time to train and I was able to give a more solid performance at the Hong Kong Open,” he said.

“I felt fresh and revitalised and it really taught me a lesson to be selective on tournaments.

“Hopefully, we will be able to make a wise decision on my participation in the SEA Games.”

Chong Wei has not won an individual gold medal in the biennial Games.

He was a member of the team who emerged as the champions in the 2005 edition in Manila.

Besides Chong Wei, the other members of the men’s team for the Games in Vientiane are Mohd Hafiz Hashim, Kuan Beng Hong, Liew Daren, Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong, Mohd Fairuzizuan Mohd Tazari-Mohd Zakry Abdul Latif and Lim Khim Wah-Chan Peng Soon. NST

No comments:

Post a Comment