Friday, May 8, 2015

Syaidatul makes a strong case for SEA Games spot with Malaysian Open win



PETALING JAYA: Syaidatul Afifah Badrul Hamidi has made a strong case for her inclusion in the SEA Games squad after winning the women’s Open title at the Malaysian Open.

The 23-year-old edged national youth bowler Nur Syazwani Sahar 213-205 in an all-Malaysian final at the Sunway Megalanes for her first individual title of the year.

“I’m very happy! It’s nice to win my second individual title – and first for the year. I’m ready for the SEA Games,” said a beaming Syaidatul, who won her first senior title at the KL Open last year.
“This win is a surprise actually. During qualifying I didn’t event think about winning because my scores weren’t that high. But then I got in as the top seed.

“There was a bit of pressure going into he final because even in my practice throws I couldn’t find the right lines. But it was a good final. There is no difference between elite and national youth,” added the 23-year-old, who scored a perfect game of 300 in game seven of round two.

South Korea’s Asian Games triple-gold medallist Park Jong-woo lived up to his status by winning the men’s Open title on his debut.

The 24-year-old went into the final as the top seed having amassed 1,860 pinfalls.
Jong-woo then overcame Australia’s Sam Cooley 191-226, 245-172 in the final. Malaysia’s Rafiq Ismail was third.

“This is my first Malaysian Open ... I didn’t really know what to expect,” said Jong-woo, who took home RM40,000.

“I didn’t even think I would qualify for the finals as the top seed. I watched the semi-finals between Sam and Rafiq and they were both so good. I knew it was going to be difficult.

“In the finals, I was nervous ... when I was lost the first game, I felt even more pressure. I’m very happy to win my first Malaysian Open.” 



 by Ashreena Pillai - The Star

No comments:

Post a Comment