Friday, May 8, 2015

Syaidatul Afifah and Jong Woo emerge victorious in Malaysian Open


KUALA LUMPUR, May 7 (Bernama) -- National bowler Syaidatul Afifah Badrul Hamidi produced a master class performance to win the Women's Open title in the Malaysian Open bowling championships at the Sunway Pyramid Mega lanes in Bandar Sunway, today.

Syaidatul Afifah defeated National back up squad bowler Nur Syazwani Sahar 213-205 in an all-Malaysian step-ladder final to take home the title and RM15,000 prize money.

"The win will certainly boost my confidence to put up a good performance if selected for the Singapore SEA Games next month. I hope I can make the trip to Singapore.

"Though I was playing against a back up squad bowler, it wasn't an easy outing because in tenpin bowling, there is no difference between a senior or junior...any player can win with a good performance," she told reporters.

In the men's final, South Korea's Park Jong Woo, making his debut in the Malaysian Open, pulled off a surprise by beating Sam Cooley from Australia.

Meanwhile, Jong Woo said he did not expect to win the title in his very first appearance.

"Its was my first Malaysian Open, so I didn't really think that I could qualify for the final as a top seed. I watched the semi-finals between Sam and Rafiq and I saw both of them were really good. I knew it will be difficult.

"In the final, I was nervous and when I lost the first game I felt more pressure," he said.

-- BERNAMA

No comments:

Post a Comment