Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Mun Hua turns gym nut to get better physique for SEA Games

Mun Hua is a two-time world champion, but has yet to win a SEA Games gold medal.
Mun Hua is a two-time world champion, but has yet to win a SEA Games gold medal.


PETALING JAYA: Wushu exponent Ho Mun Hua has spent extra time in the gym since the beginning of this year.

And a more muscular-looking Mun Hua is hoping the extra efforts will help him deliver a breakthrough performance at the Singapore SEA Games next month.
Mun Hua is a two-time world champion in nanquan (southern barehands) discipline, but he has yet to win a SEA Games gold medal.

Mun Hua will be making his fourth Games appearance. After finishing empty handed in Thailand (2007) and Laos (2009), Mun Hua ended up winning the most medals among the Malaysian wushu exponents in Myanmar in 2013.

The 26-year-old fell victim to questionable judging as he bagged a total of four medals – three silvers (nanquan, nandao and duel event) and one bronze (nangun).

“I finished behind the Myanmar exponent in nanquan and nandao by 0.2 and 0.1 points.
“I felt I would have won at least one gold if the SEA Games were held in another country. I’d be lying if I said I was not disappointed at that time.

“But that’s two years ago. I can only hope to put up an error-free performance and get a fairer decision in Singapore,” said Mun Hua.

Mun Hua, who recently returned from a month-long training stint in Foochow, China, was named Malacca’s Sportsman of the Year on Saturday.

“This award has boosted my confidence to achieve something for Malaysian wushu. I’m excited about the SEA Games as I have been preparing since the start of the year.

“I go to the gym almost every day as I want to become fitter. Nanquan is a power-packed event and even one slight mistake is costly.

“If I am fitter, I can bring out a better performance as the body expression counts in nanquan.
“A lot is at stake as there is only one gold up for grabs in the men’s nanquan and nangun.

In Myanmar, the events were held separately,” said Mun Hua, who first made a name for himself when he won the world nanquan title in Toronto, Canada, in 2009.

Mun Hua repeated the feat when Kuala Lumpur hosted the World Championships in 2013.  
Wushu delivered three golds in Myanmar and all came from the women exponents. The gold medallists were Diana Bong (nanquan), Tai Cheau Xuen (nandao) and Phoon Eyin (qiangshu).



 by Lim Teik Huat - The Star

No comments:

Post a Comment