Sunday, June 7, 2015

Surprise silver for Malaysian triathlete in Singapore

SINGAPORE: Youngster Rikigoro Shinozuka secured a surprise silver for Malaysia in the men’s triathlon at the East Coast Park.

Riki, as he is popularly known, completed the 1.5km swim, 40km cycle and 10km run event in 2’05:35. Nikko Bryan Huelgas of the Philippines clocked 2’04:32 to win the gold. Loo Chuan Rong of Singapore took the bronze in 2’07:01.

“I didn’t really expect to finish with a silver because I was way off the pace in the swim,” said Riki who was placed eighth out of 12 triathletes after the 1.5km swim.

“But I’ve been training very hard for this race including spending two months in Australia. I pushed really hard.

“Although it was raining heavily, it actually helped me because I am better in high-risk situations.

“I’m really pleased with the silver-medal effort,” added Riki, who is of mixed Japanese-Malaysian parentage.

Lee Chein Wern, the other Malaysian contestant, finished seventh in 2’12:01.

Of the 12 athletes, only eight completed the race.

The Star Online

No comments:

Post a Comment