Friday, January 16, 2015

Frost relishes challenge with Malaysian badminton, again


Morten Frost is keeping a close watch of the proceedings in the Malaysian Open Grand Prix Gold badminton tournament at the Perpaduan Stadium in Kuching. -ZULAZHAR SHEBLEE
Morten Frost is keeping a close watch of the proceedings in the Malaysian Open Grand Prix Gold badminton tournament at the Perpaduan Stadium in Kuching. -ZULAZHAR SHEBLEE

KUCHING: No hurdle is too high for lanky Morten Frost Hansen.
The Dane admitted that it will be a great challenge to chart the future of Malaysian badminton but he has come prepared.

Frost will become the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM)’s technical director once he officially starts work in March.

The 56-year-old Frost was all smiles as he stepped out of the Kuching International Airport. He will be a commentator at the ongoing Malaysian Open Grand Prix Gold at Perpaduan Stadium from the semi-finals stage onwards.

Frost will be reunited with Malaysian badminton after 16 years. He was the national coaching director for three and half years before leaving in 1999.

“I love the game and I love Malaysia. I am looking forward to the challenges ahead. It is just going to be great,” said Frost.

“I received a call from the Youth and Sports Ministry last year. After a short meeting, it did not take me long to make up my mind.”

Asked whether he would do things differently compared to his days as the coaching director, he said: “That is very, very hard to say.”

“Firstly, I would like to find out what is going on before making any decisions. We will take it as it comes but obviously some changes will take place.”

On whether he had any regrets during his previous stint in Malaysia, he said: “Not really. We were doing quite well and we had many players coming up. I did what I had to do and I will just follow up from there.”

Frost said he hoped to meet all the coaches while in Kuching.
“Some of these coaches were my players before so I know them very well.”

Frost, who remained as the top-three player in the world for 12 years during his era, said that his objective is to find a balance between short-term and long-term goals.

“Everyone is hoping for a miracle and instant results – that can be very difficult. I would like to find a balance.”

After leaving Malaysia, the former All-England champion coached South Africa and Denmark. He then took a two-year break from the game before returning to the court as a commentator.



by Rajes Paul - The Star

No comments:

Post a Comment