Friday, October 7, 2011

Aiman overcomes injury setback to earn SEA Games ticket

PETALING JAYA: Five months ago, after winning the Malaysian Open title at the Sunway Megalanes in Sunway Pyramid, the outlook for the year seemed gloomy for national bowler Muhd Nur Aiman Khairuddin.
A wrist injury prevented him from taking any part in tournaments for the national team and his chance to feature for the first time in the SEA Games looked to be slim.

But he continued to have faith and after working closely with the physiotherapist, he managed to recover from his injury and make the SEA Games squad to Indonesia.
“I’m just happy that the coach (Holloway Cheah) did not leave me out of the Games even though I did not play in any tournaments after May,” said southpaw Aiman.

“I was focused on recovering quickly to make my SEA Games debut and I’m glad I did.”
He said he has fully recovered from the injury and has no problems bowling now. He will join fellow team-mates Adrian Ang, Zulmazran Zulkifli, Mohd Syafiq Ridhwan, Alex Liew and Aaron Kong for the Indonesian Games.

“I may lack some tournament time under my belt but I think that’s not a big problem. Some of my team-mates went to play in Europe while I’m stuck here to recover. But that’s okay with me.

“As far as training is concerned, I’m doing well and the injury did not bother my game at all. I will have to see how my competition edge is in the KL Open (21-29 Oct),” he said.

Aiman will use the KL Open to gauge his current performance but without a strong field of international bowlers in the fray, he will find it hard to fine-tune his competition edge ahead of the SEA Games.
“I know it is hard to be sharp in tournaments when you don’t have enough tournament time. But I will try my best and the coach’s faith in me really means a lot.

“Personally, I would like to win the singles gold medal there. It will really make my comeback complete if I can win it. But I will also work hard to give my best in the team event to bring back the gold medal.”
Bowling was not contested in the 2009 SEA Games in Laos. In the 2007 edition in Korat, Malaysia was the biggest winner with a 4-3-6 medal haul.


THE STAR

No comments:

Post a Comment